#1 2015-04-28 22:14:11

tetris4
Communicator
Website

Instructions on switching to Plasma 5 for testers (obsolete)

WARNING: With Plasma5 landing into the stable repositories, these instructions are now obsolete!

Hello everyone,

As you are probably aware, we have been preparing the transition from  kde-workspace 4.x to Plasma 5.x for several months now. We haven't moved it to our stable repos yet, but we believe that with the 5.3 update, Plasma is ready for public testing. Your feedback is extremely valuable in catching any problematic packages or unresolved conflicts, so please report any issues you came across or extra steps you had to undergo so we can document them and make the procedure as smooth as possible for all Chakra users when the final switch happens.

We always value the opinions of everyone in the community, so a new thread will open in a couple of days (now available here) about the transition and possible scenarios for the implementation so you can share your views on how you would wish for Chakra to go through with this in regards to the stable repositories.

Have in mind that although Plasma 5 is maturing quickly, there are still missing features and occasional bugs compared to the 4 series, so you should carefully consider whether this update will interfere with your workflow if you depend heavily on some specific feature.

Plasma5.3 in Chakra

Make sure to read the procedure until the end before attempting it and ask any questions in advance if unsure about a step. Also, make sure you save your work and close any running applications.

1. Edit /etc/pacman.conf as root and add [kde-next] and [testing] (testing should not be mandatory but recommended) above all the other repositories that you have enabled. Depending on your setup, it should look similar to this:

[kde-next]
Include = /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

[testing]

[lib32]

[core]

[platform]

[desktop]

[apps]

[games]

[extra]

2. Update the databases using

sudo pacman -Syy

3. Run mirror-check and check that at least the following repositories are synced:

• kde-next

• core

• platform

• desktop

4. Have in mind that after this point, if you close the Konsole window you will not be able to launch it again and the current plasma session will give issues. If this happens by accident, you can switch  to a tty with Ctrl+Alt+F3 and complete the following steps there.

To remove kde-workspace and all the packages that currently depend on it run

sudo pacman -Rnscc kde-workspace

5. To install plasma-desktop and all the related dependencies, as well as get the upgrades to the Frameworks 5 applications run

sudo pacman -Syu plasma

You will be asked a series of replacement questions to all of which you should answer with Yes.

6. Once all the updates have completed successfully, you can reboot:

sudo reboot

You should have now booted into the new plasma 5 desktop. Enjoy!! big_smile Remember to provide feedback for anything you come across that should be fixed or any steps or packages we might have missed! 

If for some reason you want to revert back to kde-workspace4, then you will need to follow the opposite procedure:
- Disable the kde-next (and testing if you enabled it) repository.
- "sudo pacman -Rncsu plasma-desktop"
- "sudo pacman -S kde-workspace"
- "sudo reboot"

You can help improve Chakra by getting involved or donating!

#2 2015-04-29 02:13:20

brli

Re: Instructions on switching to Plasma 5 for testers (obsolete)

kde-next/libksysguard4 4.11.[b]17[/b]-4
desktop/libksysguard4 4.11.[b]18[/b]-4
kde-next/libkworkspace4 4.11.[b]17[/b]-4
desktop/libkworkspace4 4.11.[b]18[/b]-4

also, we are lacking kwalletmanager kf5 version

#3 2015-04-29 11:44:17

tetris4
Communicator
Website

Thanks for reporting these brli!
libksysguard4 and libkworkspace4 are not needed for Plasma5 so I removed them from the kde-next repository. They were obsolete anw.
In regards to kwallet, the kdeutils-kwalletmanager is not ported to Frameworks5 yet.

#4 2015-04-29 13:43:27

brli

yeah, after the post I searched around kwalletmanager and built the git version now

#5 2015-04-29 14:47:14

ugjka
Jr. Packager

For those wondering where have system tray icons gone for some applications here are some reads:

Hint: For Skype install lib32-sni-qt package!

Last edited by ugjka (2015-04-29 16:43:23)

#6 2015-04-29 20:14:59

wrohr
Banned

I took the liberty to take these instructions for German users in the shortened form. I hope you agree.
http://www.wrohr.eu/anleitungen-howto/4 … plasma-5-3

regards
wrohr

Last edited by wrohr (2015-06-07 09:43:50)

#7 2015-04-30 07:49:05

tetris4
Communicator
Website

@ugjka
Thanks for pointing out the system tray issues, I opened a bug report so we can decide how to handle this.

@wrohr
Thanks for taking the time to translate this.

#8 2015-04-30 16:49:20

cazador

Hi, I found two errors

1) In the desktop preferences image preview not show.
2) Mouse pointer over the desktop or title bar is not the same that mouse theme

#9 2015-04-30 18:22:36

ugjka
Jr. Packager

@cazador Yeah the mouse pointer theme differs between apps, panel and desktop. It's not a bugger but it's definitely a bug. I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.

Last edited by ugjka (2015-04-30 18:23:14)

#10 2015-04-30 19:48:54

Willem1

Yesterday I upgraded to Plasma 5 using the instructions above, and everything went correctly, until the You should have now booted into the new plasma 5 desktop part wink

Namely, I am unable to start Plasma from SDDM. SDDM itself works correct (it shows the users, allows me to enter my password, etc., also it has the correct Breeze theme), but when I try to login I only get a black screen with a (Breeze-themed) cursor. In that session I can't do anything (except for moving the cursor tongue) since the KRunner shortcut also doesn't work, so I can't start anything.

Note: I checked and I do use "Plasma" in SDDM, and not "Failsafe", so that shouldn't be the issue.

After some experimentation I discovered that when I switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F2) and use startx, the Plasma session is started correctly, so I get the nice new splash screen, and after that a fully working Plasma session.

I tried looking at SDDM's logs, but I don't think there is anything strange there (see here for the relevant output of sudo journalctl -u sddm). Now I'm not sure how to debug this further... Does anyone have ideas?

Edit: I also have Kodi installed (a media center, formerly known as XBMC) and SDDM lets me start a Kodi session without problems. It is really only Plasma that has problems...

Last edited by Willem1 (2015-04-30 20:04:32)

#11 2015-04-30 22:29:32

tetris4
Communicator
Website

@cazador
We will have to check if those errors are not upstream. Thanks for pointing them out!

@Willem1
Congrats, this was the first problematic update reported tongue. Can you please run:

sudo pacman -Syu plasma-desktop sddm sddm-kcm

After this reboot and check if the issue persists. If yes, please pastebin your /var/log/pacman.log and /etc/sddm.conf to begin with.  smile

#12 2015-05-01 00:26:04

AlmAck
Sr. Packager
Website

cazador wrote:

1) In the desktop preferences image preview not show.
2) Mouse pointer over the desktop or title bar is not the same that mouse theme

Are you testing on a real system or on virtualbox?
1) could you please provide a screenshot, I can't replicate here the issue
2) I can't see any differences, could you please explain in detail what happens?

#13 2015-05-01 02:14:08

tetris4
Communicator
Website

@AlmAck
About point 1, Here is a screenshot of the issue. It seems to be more general, image previews don't work for KF5 based apps and Plasma5:
http://i.imgur.com/g2V1huom.png
dolphin (which is not ported) can display thumbnails fine. rekonq also can show image previews in the open file dialog fine.

Regarding point 2, the mouse cursor theme seems to change as you hover over various apps, switching from breeze to some fallback icon theme.

Moderator edit: Image tags removed. Please don't post oversized images.

Last edited by totte (2015-05-08 08:45:19)

#14 2015-05-01 09:02:38

NoSavvy

I tried Plasma5 on my testing setup which has been running perfectly for some 6 months . No joy. Just a black screen. Symptoms almost identical to Willem1. Post.10.
Reverted back to kde4 and all went well and worked.
Tried again and no success. The log in screen appears and I log in then just a black screen with the mouse pointer working. Yakuake loads at boot so by using that console I can run the kde programs successfully and switch between them with Alt-tab. F1-F7 termals not working correctly though.
Also if I run sudo plasmashell --shut-up then Plasma5 works OK. (console does complain that xdg_runtime_dir is not set.There are no other errors that I can find in the logs.

???

EDIT: No worries, I will reinstall and try again. Possibly was short on disk space.

Last edited by NoSavvy (2015-05-01 13:32:24)

Asus M/Brd M4A78LT-M, AMD Phenom IIX4 B60 CPU. 6gb Ram, Samsung 250gb HD, WD 500gb HD. Nvidia GForce 8400 GS silent graphics card. Chakra Fermi. 64bit. Stable and Testing.

#15 2015-05-01 09:51:45

Willem1

@tetris4: That didn't work unfortunately... Here is my /etc/sddm.conf and /var/log/pacman.log (only the part since I started the upgrade to Plasma 5). Note that when I first hit the issue, I thought it may be related to the video driver, so I tried switching from fglrx to radeon and back again when it didn't fix the issue - this is line 303-376 in the pacman log.

By the way, I can't reproduce the issue with the thumbnails:
https://i.imgur.com/pPp8FOTm.png

As for the cursor theme, I had that too, but only until I rebooted once. Now I have the correct Breeze cursors everywhere.

Moderator edit: Image tags removed. Please don't post oversized images.

Last edited by totte (2015-05-08 08:44:55)

#16 2015-05-01 11:21:04

Skool182

Hi,
Thanks for the instructions smile I didnt know that order in pacman.conf was important.

I've a problem during my update to get 5.3 today :

erreur: échec de récupération du fichier « kinfocenter-5.3.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz » depuis repository.blasters.fr : Maximum file size exceeded
erreur: échec de récupération du fichier « kinfocenter-5.3.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz » depuis www-ftp.lip6.fr : Maximum file size exceeded
erreur: échec de récupération du fichier « kinfocenter-5.3.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz » depuis ftp.ciril.fr : Maximum file size exceeded
erreur: échec de récupération du fichier « kinfocenter-5.3.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz » depuis archlinux.puzzle.ch : Maximum file size exceeded

I've looked at the size of the packet, it's not than bigger than others versions.
mirror-check says that all repos are synced
any idea ?

Thanks

Board footer